Re: F21 RC1 fixes - Re: F21 TC4 Server netinst hangs at Probing Storage

On 11/28/2014 06:24 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Fri, 2014-11-28 at 14:47 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Using the new x86_64 F21 Final RC1 Netinst iso, I got past the finding
storage problem.  I am now installing the new system (from my local
repo).

So whichever bug:  1111722 or 1167959,

I seem to be good.  This time I am installing the Ldxe desktop to give
it a quick run to choose either it or Xfce.  Once I boot in, I will
try the install again, to ensure this is fixed.
BTW, the message I got on install that I had to click through was:

"failed to remove old efi boot entry.  This is most likely a kernel bug."

The boot was very problematic.  At first it tried to boot off LAN
instead of HD.  HD WAS before LAN in boot order.  After the LAN did not
boot, it did switch to the HD.
This is nothing to do with Fedora.

I would think so too. Unless it has something to do with efi problems. Rather strange. Just reporting it.

   Gave me the kernel menu where I selected
to first choice as always.   Boot started then machine turned off!
That sounds like your overheating problem.

There seems to be a history of heating problems with Thinkpads and Fedora. There is a specific thankfan program from sourceforge. But I will probably tear into this unit tomorrow to check it out. There is also a history of improperly installed heat sinks. But like I said, it does not feel hot. My old unit runs hotter at times (but it has thinkfan installed).

DO want to try the setup again....

I powered off.  Connected the CD drive and booted the netinst CD. Edited
the boot commands for:

ip=dhcp repo=http://my.local.repo/

And got into the boot and the menu no problem.  I see that the check box
for updates is greyed out, of course there are not updates.  But I can
add other repos.  I wonder if I were to add the update (once available)
here, if it would have the proper weight to replace rpms from the os repo?
Didn't I just explain this in a rather long email two days ago? Yes. If
you are specifying a custom base repo, then the way to add an updates
repository is to specify it as an additional repository. The checkbox is
a 'special case' UI element for the ISO and 'closest mirror' cases. I
think there could stand to be UI improvements here, but it's not a
complete slam dunk and I moved on to more immediately important stuff.

I will read it again. This was an effort to test out what I read you saying. I did not get a part about controling the priorities of the repos. Will read through it again before testing. I actually wanted to SEE if I learned anything from your long email!

So either there is a timer on the OK and
if you do not click within the designated time, it goes on anyway, or it
finally did the efi boot write.  How do I check this? I suppose I can go
to the old bug and look for some of the instructions on how to display
the efi boot content.
Just read /var/log/anaconda/anaconda.program.log and look for errors in
the bootloader installation?

Will do. Unfortunately I lost the one from the first install where I had the constant system crashes. Will report back if there is anything of interest.

thank you for your time and efforts.