Re: F21 RC1 fixes - Re: F21 TC4 Server netinst hangs at Probing Storage

On Fri, 2014-11-28 at 14:47 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 11/28/2014 12:26 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > Using the new x86_64 F21 Final RC1 Netinst iso, I got past the finding
> > storage problem.  I am now installing the new system (from my local
> > repo).
> >
> > So whichever bug:  1111722 or 1167959,
> >
> > I seem to be good.  This time I am installing the Ldxe desktop to give
> > it a quick run to choose either it or Xfce.  Once I boot in, I will
> > try the install again, to ensure this is fixed.
>
> BTW, the message I got on install that I had to click through was:
>
> "failed to remove old efi boot entry.  This is most likely a kernel bug."
>
> The boot was very problematic.  At first it tried to boot off LAN
> instead of HD.  HD WAS before LAN in boot order.  After the LAN did not
> boot, it did switch to the HD.

This is nothing to do with Fedora.

>   Gave me the kernel menu where I selected
> to first choice as always.   Boot started then machine turned off!

That sounds like your overheating problem.

> DO want to try the setup again....
>
> I powered off.  Connected the CD drive and booted the netinst CD. Edited
> the boot commands for:
>
> ip=dhcp repo=http://my.local.repo/
>
> And got into the boot and the menu no problem.  I see that the check box
> for updates is greyed out, of course there are not updates.  But I can
> add other repos.  I wonder if I were to add the update (once available)
> here, if it would have the proper weight to replace rpms from the os repo?

Didn't I just explain this in a rather long email two days ago? Yes. If
you are specifying a custom base repo, then the way to add an updates
repository is to specify it as an additional repository. The checkbox is
a 'special case' UI element for the ISO and 'closest mirror' cases. I
think there could stand to be UI improvements here, but it's not a
complete slam dunk and I moved on to more immediately important stuff.

> So either there is a timer on the OK and
> if you do not click within the designated time, it goes on anyway, or it
> finally did the efi boot write.  How do I check this? I suppose I can go
> to the old bug and look for some of the instructions on how to display
> the efi boot content.

Just read /var/log/anaconda/anaconda.program.log and look for errors in
the bootloader installation?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey