Re: Release criterion proposal: upgrade methods

On Tue, 2012-09-25 at 23:01 -0400, Richard Ryniker wrote:

> Maybe someone with more fortitude (intellectual honesty? discipline?)
> than I will kill upgrade, and make the world a better place.  Or at least
> document that "upgrade" is offered only on a "good effort" basis, with no
> guarantee or support.

That's more or less my take on it, and why I'd like to use the word
'recommended' rather than 'supported'. I agree that it's very difficult
to convincingly suggest that upgrades are in any reasonable definition
'supported'.

(As a sidebar, it's worth noting that major version upgrades are
unsupported for RHEL, and Microsoft rarely offers true 'upgrades'
between Windows builds any more, and I think never recommended them for
enterprise use: vastly better funded and more conservative operating
system projects than Fedora nevertheless have the same problems. It all
rather indicates to me that 'supporting' major version upgrades of
operating systems is rather close to being an impossibility.)

To bring this back to practicalities: I'd say this discussion represents
a rather strong consensus that we don't see much value in
*strengthening* the release criteria and validation testing as concerns
upgrades. We are left with the option of preserving the existing status
quo, wherein we effectively guarantee that precisely two fairly
artificial cases will work, or of simply dropping the release criterion
relating to upgrading and demoting the test cases to 'optional' status.

I can kind of see arguments both ways; on the one hand, the burden of
testing upgrades to the strictly limited extent we currently do is not a
terribly harsh one, and it at least gives us some confidence that the
basic upgrade mechanism is not irretrievably broken. On the other hand,
the practical benefits of the testing are fairly marginal: that 'we know
it's not completely impossible' is pretty much all we get out of it.

Any more thoughts down that road?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey