Re: Release criterion proposal: upgrade methods

On 09/25/2012 11:02 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:59:40PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
Yeah. I have one system where I run rawhide, and I leap releases for
everything else -- but, usually I accept that I'm going to reinstall. I
don't think Fedora (or Red Hat) have *ever* promised that an upgrade from
anything but the previous release will work.
Richard pointed out that we actually do suggest (not promise, but...)
this in the install guide. The example cited suggests it's fine to
upgrade across like three releases. We probably ought to change that.
It'd be kind of awesome if we also *knew* each release if three or four
releases back is likely to work, even if the answer is "no".

Personally I think we should limit our "support" not go further back then the release we are about to eol so we would support F16 being upgrade to F18 but not F15 being upgraded to F18.

JBG