Re: Release criterion proposal: upgrade methods

On Mon, 2012-09-24 at 11:03 -0600, Tim Flink wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 18:40:08 +0200
> drago01 <drago01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > The installer must be able to successfully complete an upgrade
> > > installation from a clean, fully updated default installation (from
> > > any official install medium) of the previous stable Fedora release,
> > > either via preupgrade or by booting to the installer manually. The
> > > upgraded system must meet all release criteria.
>

> > Neither will the installer. For F18 a new tool will be written that
> > acts like preupgrade (downloads packages; reboots; upgrades), it might
> > use preupgrade but this isn't decided yet.
> > So I suggest to rewrite the text to say "The upgrade tool".
>
> Point taken - there are few details available (that I'm aware of) which
> describe how any upgrades will work for F18. How about:
>
> A clean, fully updated default installation (done with any official
> install method) of the previous stable Fedora release must be
> upgradable via any officially supported upgrade mechanism. The upgraded
> system must meet all release criteria.

I was thinking along the same lines, but I think I'd prefer:

It must be possible to successfully complete an upgrade from a clean,
fully updated default installation of the previous stable Fedora
release, using any officially recommended upgrade mechanism. The
upgraded system must meet all release criteria.

I just like it more that way around, still. I'm also favouring
'officially recommended' over 'officially supported' because, let's be
honest, our 'support' for upgrades is pretty nominal (the testing that
backs this criterion is pretty much the extent of our 'support').

It's a bit bikeshed-y I know, in the end I'd be okay with either.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey