Re: Release criterion proposal: upgrade methods

On 24 September 2012 17:06, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-09-24 at 21:52 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>
>> Do you know if we keep log in our infrastructure that shows how many are
>> actually upgrading on which version they do it from?
>
> I don't know that, no. I don't think we do. I suppose it might be
> possible to infer such information from the yum records, with a careful
> analysis, by looking at installations with reliable IP addresses and
> seeing their upgrade patterns. That might actually be kinda interesting,
> but I don't know if it's really possible. In general Fedora is pretty
> conservative about logging user information. As a F/OSS project, you run
> the risk of a bad case of Slashdotitis if you do anything else =)

We do not have a simple way of tracking upgrade methods nor users to
do so. Mainly for the reasons that IPs change a lot, what looks like
an upgrade turns out to be users behind a NAT, etc etc.

> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | identi.ca: adamwfedora
> http://www.happyassassin.net
>
> --

Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."
Linus Torvalds
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd