Re: Spin Approval

On 12/05/2012 06:41 PM, Jørn Lomax wrote:
On 12/05/2012 06:35 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM, Brendan Jones
<brendan.jones.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think you've convinced me that we shouldn't waste too much time
trying to
cull it. The only advantage I can see is build time, and then that is
only
the first time as the rest should be in your local cache.

There are some KDE packages which may be considered to get in the way of
audio, akonadi and nepomuk for example. We really don't like processes
turning up in the middle of a session, but I've been trying to keep it
simple and have left them in.

Nepomuk can be disabled, but I don't have a problem with removing it.
I think Akonadi can be disabled as well but I haven't tried it.

On the other hand I'm still open to add more packages! Some people
mentioned
Latex and inkscape - certainly worth consideration. Be interested to
hear
what other people might think.

LaTeX / TeXLive is *humongous*! A "moderate" installation is at least
300 MB and the whole boat comes to about 3 GB. Inkscape (and Scribus
and GIMP and a video editor and sometimes Blender) are usually found
on "multimedia" distros, so I'd like to see them. And of course CSound
needs to be on an *audio* distro.

I agree. I don't think we *need* LaTex. What propose would it serve in
the spin. We already have lilypad for engraving. Inkskape and gimp i
would like to see still be on the spin, but i won't cry if we remove them

Some have mentioned post-production of scores.

I would probably yell at you if we dropped firefox and thunderbird :)
Chromium is still a contentious issue and we all have to rely on
Tom's repos
for the moment

Yeah, if Konqueror wasn't integrated into KDE like IE is in Windows
I'd say pull Konqueror. I built a machine from the Fedora KDE Live CD
a while ago only to discover that Firefox and LibreOffice weren't
there - Konqueror and Calligra had taken their place.
I don't use an email client any more. I'm not paranoid about Google
reading my mail just yet.
Jupp. Never liked Konqueror, never will. I'm a chrome man myself, but i
feel firefox should be the default browser. Although I'm not afraid of
google reading my emails (they probably do), I like to have a good email
client to help get all my different email account come to one spot
instead of opening 3-4 tabs to check all of them.

What is the default email client in KDE?
kmail  I'd imagine
<snip>

regards,

bsjones