Re: Spin Approval

On 12/05/2012 07:26 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
 From the original email

 > > anyway - the rest is a stock standard KDE kickstart - we haven't even
 > > deleted any packages.

 > You probably should to save some space. I doubt that musicians are
 > interested in all the stuff KDE offers and be eliminating everything
 > irrelevant applications, , you could in fact shift the focus more to
 > music. But that's up to you.

I've done a little testing on the ISO size - see

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Fedora_jam#Size_reductions_-_some_philosophy_and_research

Other than Calligra and the games, I don't know what else we could take
out. KDE supplies Konqueror, so in *theory* we could ditch Firefox and
Thunderbird. But I've found a few things that don't work in Konqueror,
so we might get yelled at if we dropped Firefox. I wish we had Chromium;
the web audio stuff is cutting edge.

I think you've convinced me that we shouldn't waste too much time trying to cull it. The only advantage I can see is build time, and then that is only the first time as the rest should be in your local cache.

There are some KDE packages which may be considered to get in the way of audio, akonadi and nepomuk for example. We really don't like processes turning up in the middle of a session, but I've been trying to keep it simple and have left them in.

On the other hand I'm still open to add more packages! Some people mentioned Latex and inkscape - certainly worth consideration. Be interested to hear what other people might think.

I would probably yell at you if we dropped firefox and thunderbird :)
Chromium is still a contentious issue and we all have to rely on Tom's repos for the moment