Re: Spin Approval

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM, Brendan Jones
<brendan.jones.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think you've convinced me that we shouldn't waste too much time trying to
> cull it. The only advantage I can see is build time, and then that is only
> the first time as the rest should be in your local cache.
>
> There are some KDE packages which may be considered to get in the way of
> audio, akonadi and nepomuk for example. We really don't like processes
> turning up in the middle of a session, but I've been trying to keep it
> simple and have left them in.

Nepomuk can be disabled, but I don't have a problem with removing it.
I think Akonadi can be disabled as well but I haven't tried it.

> On the other hand I'm still open to add more packages! Some people mentioned
> Latex and inkscape - certainly worth consideration. Be interested to hear
> what other people might think.

LaTeX / TeXLive is *humongous*! A "moderate" installation is at least
300 MB and the whole boat comes to about 3 GB. Inkscape (and Scribus
and GIMP and a video editor and sometimes Blender) are usually found
on "multimedia" distros, so I'd like to see them. And of course CSound
needs to be on an *audio* distro.

> I would probably yell at you if we dropped firefox and thunderbird :)
> Chromium is still a contentious issue and we all have to rely on Tom's repos
> for the moment

Yeah, if Konqueror wasn't integrated into KDE like IE is in Windows
I'd say pull Konqueror. I built a machine from the Fedora KDE Live CD
a while ago only to discover that Firefox and LibreOffice weren't
there - Konqueror and Calligra had taken their place.

I don't use an email client any more. I'm not paranoid about Google
reading my mail just yet.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://znmeb.github.com/Computational-Journalism-Publishers-Workbench/

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?