Re: Spin Approval

On 5 December 2012 18:25:31 Brendan Jones wrote:
> >> LaTeX / TeXLive is *humongous*! A "moderate" installation is at least
> >> 300 MB and the whole boat comes to about 3 GB. Inkscape (and Scribus
> >> and GIMP and a video editor and sometimes Blender) are usually found
> >> on "multimedia" distros, so I'd like to see them. And of course CSound
> >> needs to be on an *audio* distro.
> >
> > I agree. I don't think we *need* LaTex. What propose would it serve in
> > the spin. We already have lilypad for engraving. Inkskape and gimp i
> > would like to see still be on the spin, but i won't cry if we remove them
>
> Some have mentioned post-production of scores.
It was probably me. Frankly, I think we definitely don't need Scribus or
especially Blender. GIMP and Inkscape are useful for modifying LilyPond
output, and they're pretty small (Inkscape especially).

I'm also willing to say we don't really need LaTeX because:
1.) I highly doubt there are a large number of people who aren't me but would
still like to use Fedora Jam for writing academic music papers with LilyPond
and LaTeX.
2.) Even I don't use the distribution-provided LaTeX because it's quite old.

> > What is the default email client in KDE?
>
> kmail  I'd imagine
Yes, KMail and the Kontact suite. If default Fedora has a default of
something, and "something" isn't an audio-specific thing, I feel we shouldn't
change it. Let's waste our time on audio-specific things because, at the end of
the day, nobody (reasonable) will avoid Fedora Jam *just because* we use the
default Fedora browser instead of the default KDE browser.

Christopher