Re: Spin Approval

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Jørn Lomax <northlomax@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree. I don't think we *need* LaTex. What propose would it serve in the
> spin. We already have lilypad for engraving. Inkskape and gimp i would like
> to see still be on the spin, but i won't cry if we remove them

I vote "No" on LaTeX because of its size. I don't think even the
Science spin carries the whole thing! I install the whole thing from
upstream binaries on my workstation because that's what upstream
recommends, but that's just me.

> Jupp. Never liked Konqueror, never will. I'm a chrome man myself, but i feel
> firefox should be the default browser. Although I'm not afraid of google
> reading my emails (they probably do), I like to have a good email client to
> help get all my different email account come to one spot instead of opening
> 3-4 tabs to check all of them.
>
> What is the default email client in KDE?

KMail. It used to be feature-competitive with Thunderbird and
Evolution, and if you are doing a knowledge worker's desktop instead
of an audio studio spin, the Nepomuk integration / semantic desktop
features are a good bit "smarter" than GNOME 3's "Tracker". I prefer
GNOME's 'evince' PDF reader to KDE's 'okular', however.

The problem I have with KDE (and GNOME) is that they take up way too
much RAM. As far as I'm concerned, for a lot of "apps", the browser is
the Desktop/OS these days and a tiling window manager instead of a
desktop is starting to make a lot of sense. I've tried xmonad but keep
dropping back to actual desktops.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://znmeb.github.com/Computational-Journalism-Publishers-Workbench/

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?