Re: Legacy document translations

On Oct 14, 2016 10:00, "Petr Bokoc" <pbokoc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/13/2016 11:00 PM, Pete Travis wrote:

>> > As Robyduck and shaunm have pointed out, pulling from Zanata is slow.
>> > We really need to address this with the Zanata team.  Either they
>> > realize it is a problem and are trying to fix it or they have envisioned
>> > a different workflow and we should consider that.
>> >
>> > This also goes back to the issue of trying to figure out when we should
>> > publish a translation.  Do we publish partial translations?  In other
>> > words, everytime English is updated, we publish updated, now by
>> > definition incomplete, translations as well.  Or, do we only publish
>> > versions which are 100% translated and approved after being signaled by
>> > the translation team?
>> >
>> > The answer to the above questions will drive whether we really want/need
>> > to cache PO files or not.
>> >
>> > regards,
>> >
>> > bex
>>
>> IMO it would be impractical to require 100% translation, or 100% review.
>>
>> Many documents seem to peak at 60 or 70% translation.  For a book project that probably means ie ~100% for release N-2 with no retranslation on content updates.  For an article collection, it would mean no translated articles until all articles in a repo are translated - hopefully, that's an unattainable moving target.
>>
>>   I believe most teams did not opt into review, and suspect we'll need to investigate whether we can effectively choose only reviewed POs for some languages.
>>
>> Given these concerns it might be best to publish whatever translations are available when we update the source content, plus periodic rebuilds that only serve to update translated content.
>>
>> -- Pete

> Partial translation should stop being an issue when (if) we switch from large books into series of short, mostly self-contained articles. Before that happens, though, +1 from me for publishing partially translated content. Maybe with some kind of threshold, something like "only publish books with more than 50% strings translated" or something similar.

Well, it becomes a different question at that point.  With books we want to publish translations of a project when N% of resources in a project have been translated.  With articles we want to publish each resource with over N% translated strings.  I need to review the API functionality again... but at this stage getting the POTs generated and uploaded should be dealt with first.

-- Pete