Legacy document translations

Hi all,

I've been working on getting translations from Zanata and merging them
into DocBook. There are two big issues, and I'd like to propose an
alternative for legacy documents. Here are the issues:

* Pulling from Zanata is slow. It's basically just a bunch of HTTP
calls, at least one per language per XML file. I don't see any way to
use etags or similar to avoid redownloading the same content. I had a
brief chat with bex on IRC about possibly having a git mirror of the PO
files. That would be faster.

* Merging requires Publican, because the merge code lives there. There
are two possible ways around this:

1) We pull Publican's Translate.pm into a standalone module and have a
tool ("publican-po"?) that just does PO extraction and merging exactly
the way Publican does. We'd have to maintain this, but it would be a
lower maintenance burden than all of Publican.

2) We merge with itstool instead. itstool's PO files don't exactly
match Publican's. So a 100% translated document might drop to 90% or
so. I could probably write custom ITS rules that would make it match
better. I don't know if I could get it to match 100%.

So, an alternative: For any documents that are no longer edited in any
way, we could do a one time merge of all translations and just put it
in git on that branch. That way there's no downloading (aside from the
git clone we do anyway), no merging, and no maintaining a legacy merge
tool going forward.

The downside is that we'd be putting a lot more content in git, which
could slow down git clones. Alternatively, we could put them all in a
separate repo. For example, all release-notes translations could go
into a new repo called release-notes-translations.

Thoughts?

--
Shaun