Re: Legacy document translations

On Oct 13, 2016 07:27, "Brian Exelbierd" <bex@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2016, at 08:09 AM, Jean-Baptiste Holcroft wrote:
> > if helping :
> > * Fedora Websites is not saving translation in git repository
> >    Robyduck wrote explanation here :
> > https://pagure.io/fedora-websites/pull-request/36
>
> As Robyduck and shaunm have pointed out, pulling from Zanata is slow.
> We really need to address this with the Zanata team.  Either they
> realize it is a problem and are trying to fix it or they have envisioned
> a different workflow and we should consider that.
>
> This also goes back to the issue of trying to figure out when we should
> publish a translation.  Do we publish partial translations?  In other
> words, everytime English is updated, we publish updated, now by
> definition incomplete, translations as well.  Or, do we only publish
> versions which are 100% translated and approved after being signaled by
> the translation team?
>
> The answer to the above questions will drive whether we really want/need
> to cache PO files or not.
>
> regards,
>
> bex

IMO it would be impractical to require 100% translation, or 100% review.

Many documents seem to peak at 60 or 70% translation.  For a book project that probably means ie ~100% for release N-2 with no retranslation on content updates.  For an article collection, it would mean no translated articles until all articles in a repo are translated - hopefully, that's an unattainable moving target.

  I believe most teams did not opt into review, and suspect we'll need to investigate whether we can effectively choose only reviewed POs for some languages.

Given these concerns it might be best to publish whatever translations are available when we update the source content, plus periodic rebuilds that only serve to update translated content.

-- Pete