Re: Fedora Publishing

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 09:08:51AM +1000, Jeff Fearn wrote:
> On 18/02/16 08:42, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 08:27:43AM +1000, Jeff Fearn wrote:
> >> The current system does not address scalibility issues, it's simply
> >> insulated from them because it is a huge barrier to entry. If you could
> >> somehow magic a lot more contributors using the current system you'd hit
> >> the exact same gardening issues as content increased and fragmented.
> >> i.e. If you get more contributors you will have to face these gardening
> >> issues regardless of the technology you chose.
> >
> > Right, so, I think an important goal of the new system is to make that
> > gardening easy -- and it just plain isn't with wikis.
>
> There are well gardened wikis, you have even named some, there are no
> sites where gardening is easy.

The primary hard parts of gardening, from my experience, are:

* locating where it needs to be done
* handling it as a repeatable, scalable routine to avoid backlog

I am in 100% agreement with Ryan, Jeff, and Matthew (and maybe Pete I
hope?) that short, focused content that addresses a specific user
problem is key.

I think that eases the second problem *somewhat* -- the shorter the
doc, the easier it is to jump in and garden without it becoming a huge
research project.  Another part of solving the second problem is a
system that alerts the team there is reviewing, checking, or editing
to do on a change.

However, none of these address the question of rot (which I think
comes more from the first problem).  Perhaps flagging an article by
age so it's reviewed on a periodic basis helps.  But much more
important is the low barrier.

I notice that both Pagure and Github have online editing of text
files.  Those generate pull requests back to the people who manage the
project.  Hmm...