Re: Fedora Publishing

Hello everyone,
After reading some of the conversation about publishing for Fedora I wanted to just make my observations known. I am thankful and grateful to Pete, and the rest of the Fedora Docs team for teaching me how to contribute.

As I struggle to build my knowledge of Linux, and trying to contribute and give back to the Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora world , I learned a lot. However I did not realize how much of a time commitment in writing in doc book, fixing my doc book code, test building in publican, and then re-doing my docbook code because it does not work right on the docs site.

I am not good at it yet, but, the time overhead just for a small chunk of content is really substantial. When I described the process of how doc writers work in Fedora, several people in my local linux users group lost interest.

I do not know what the solution is, but making docs contribution less of a process would substantially help grow contributors. It would also increase my satisfaction of useable content VS labor (but this will hopefully improve as I get better in writing in docbook).

Where I work, and the people I encounter (users and other IT Pro's) documentation is expected to be done via wiki. Wiki's have their problems, but it gets people putting info somewhere, and that's 95% of the battle for us.

Respectfully,
-Glen