Re: Multilib Middle-Ground

Kevin Kofler wrote:

I can say that OpenNMS won't currently work with a 1.6 version because it's developers have said so.

Then surely you should blame OpenNMS for not supporting the latest version of Java! Java is almost completely backwards-compatible, they have really no excuses for still shipping something which doesn't work with the 1.5-year-old latest version.

If it's so easy, perhaps you could check out a copy and offer them the fixes.

By the way, have you really tried it? My experience is that stuff often just works with IcedTea even if they claim to only support 1.5.

No, and it's not a particular problem as far as opennms itself goes because their yummable repository includes a working JVM.

I don't understand what that has to do with making it difficult to install a compliant version.

s/compliant/obsolete/

I suppose I can accept that as a description of some happy future time.

Quit talking about "standards compliant" when what you really want is ancient legacy crap. The certified 1.6 implementation from Sun won't run those programs any better than OpenJDK does.

Yes, I realize this will all get fixed in several more years. But our internal stuff just went to 1.5 last year and it took non-trivial changes so I don't expect everyone else to rush either.

conversations here I thought someone said the relationship was deliberately broken with portions moved into fedora packages and the rest ignored.

Are you trying to fault Fedora for including what they can include?

Yes, both for shipping a non-conforming implementation which harms everyone involved, and for not shipping something to fix up the package dependencies and alternatives symlinks peculiar to fedora when a user installs a conforming implementation.

> Obviously
they won't include the non-Free crap which is on JPackage, nor stuff which non-Free dependencies. Some of the incompatibilities in packaging are also due to JPackage hardcoding dependencies on non-Free crap into Free packages which aren't really necessary and which Fedora patches out.

I can't parse any of that. The jpackage nosrc packages don't include any non-free bits - they just adjust things for fedora oddness.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx