Re: Multilib Middle-Ground

Colin Walters wrote:

 The almost-java versions included in fedora don't run most real-world java
code.

If we're talking about Fedora 8, yes, there are issues because the the
OpenJDK we ship is a snapshot of JDK 7.

I'm talking about every version of fedora so far.

  We might consider shipping an
update which doesn't replace java-1.7.0-icedtea, but that people can
switch to with update-alternatives.

But for Fedora 9, I don't think one can say "most" things won't run
with java-1.6.0-openjdk.

I can say that OpenNMS won't currently work with a 1.6 version because it's developers have said so.

And it is much more difficult than necessary to install a real java
version.  Just including a jpackage nosrc-style package to adjust Sun Java
to fedora's peculiar needs would eliminate this complaint, although I really
think it would have been better to stay compatible with jpackage.org and
avoid any extra work.

Basically, Fedora is a lot more interested in improving our free
stack.

I don't understand what that has to do with making it difficult to install a compliant version.

It's been well known for years how to install the proprietary
JDK;

Well known by?

yes, jpackage makes it a lot nicer for those people aware of the
system, but I think we should leave it up to jpackage rather than
putting it into Fedora.

That would have been just fine, but there have been long intervals where jpackage has not had a suitable repo (and again, I don't see any reason that should even have needed to change across fedora versions since java code is pretty much independent of anything else) and in earlier conversations here I thought someone said the relationship was deliberately broken with portions moved into fedora packages and the rest ignored.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx