Re: Multilib Middle-Ground

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

 I'd say a more accurate description is that jpackage nosrc packages work
around the peculiar packaging and PATH requirements of distributions that
stubbornly refuse to standardize that crap and make it difficult for their
users to install programs of their choice.

Please point me to a comprehensive standardization initiative that I'm
not already aware of in this area.

It's just depressing that no one is interested in this sort of cooperation and would prefer to force every possible application to be rebuilt/repackaged and re-distributed for every version of every distro to deal with the weirdness they each add. What's the point? Once something works it should never have to be changed. At most, new shared libs should fix up anything it needs.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx