Re: Multilib Middle-Ground

Andrew Haley wrote:

  You can single out what we are
doing and say is any more non-standard that what other distros are
doing. 'We' aren't making it difficult..
Oh, please... What do you have to do in fedora to get a java working
that will run most of the the available (but not packaged for fedora)
open source java programs like opengrok and alfresco?  It's not quite
impossible but I dare you to claim its not difficult. OpenNMS and
Openfire sort-of cater to this deficiency by including a JVM in their
RPM distributions but if you installed both you wouldn't get shared text
execution and who knows what would execute for other instances.

If anyone ever works out what this complaint might be about and if there's
any substance to it, please let me know.

The almost-java versions included in fedora don't run most real-world java code. And it is much more difficult than necessary to install a real java version. Just including a jpackage nosrc-style package to adjust Sun Java to fedora's peculiar needs would eliminate this complaint, although I really think it would have been better to stay compatible with jpackage.org and avoid any extra work. I can't think of any functional reason why different fedora versions should even need different repositories for java packages but maybe I've missed something there.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikeell@xxxxxxxxx