Re: Multilib Middle-Ground

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 How can I - or anyone - answer a question about something that doesn't
exist?  My original comment was to the effect that it was a bad thing that
is doesn't.

If there is no standard you cannot claim that what we are doing
internal is not appropriate.

 Nothing I've said has had any vitrol and not much hyperbole.  I just have
the opinion that making it difficult to run programs that aren't
specifically included and modified for fedora is a bad thing for everyone,
even if that opinion is unpopular here.

Stop singling Fedora out specifically.

This particular thread is about a specific change proposed for fedora - which if made will make it more complicated to install VMWare and probably many other things. Others have been about how other distributions make things easier for their users. Or how it is bad that fedora no longer works with japackage.org. By nature, those things are fedora-specific.

  You can single out what we are
doing and say is any more non-standard that what other distros are
doing. 'We' aren't making it difficult..

Oh, please... What do you have to do in fedora to get a java working that will run most of the the available (but not packaged for fedora) open source java programs like opengrok and alfresco? It's not quite impossible but I dare you to claim its not difficult. OpenNMS and Openfire sort-of cater to this deficiency by including a JVM in their RPM distributions but if you installed both you wouldn't get shared text execution and who knows what would execute for other instances. And running applets in browsers should work out of the box even if you were once misled by lies about java being a trap.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx