Re: Auto-assign packager sponsors to tickets?

Thanks for this initiative Jakub. Automated builds on copr of packages
proposed for review has been very helpful.
On 4/4/23 03:59, Jakub Kadlcik wrote:
> Thank you all for the feedback.
>
>> The bottom line is that package reviews can be quite time consuming.  I
>> don't think the issue is with sponsorship itself.
>
> Sorry Jason, I probably didn't communicate my idea as clearly as I
> should. My intention wasn't to assign sponsors to review tickets and
> make them do the actual review. I am trying to address the situation
> where a ticket already has a fedora-review+ flag but it was given by a
> reviewer who is not a sponsor.
>

>> You're saying that tickets were properly filed with the
>> packager-sponsors tracker and those were not addressed?  I checked the
>> open tickets before responding.  I didn't see anything.  If tickets got
>> closed without any action being taken, could you point out those
>> tickets?  That would be a rather odd state of affairs
>
> Not in the packager-sponsors tracker, I checked it out, and I must say
> it is being processed flawlessly. Really good job there.
> Reading the discussion, I think we discovered one of the main issues
> elsewhere - We don't properly instruct new contributors to create a
> ticket in the tracker.
> This will be a big improvement:
> https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/package-maintainer-docs/pull-request/118
>
> To point out the specific tickets that weren't addressed, they are here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/PackageReviewStatus/needsponsor.html
>

>> But I think this is not outreachy enough.
>
> I agree, so my next step will be improving the fedora-review-service
> to post a comment about how to find a sponsor, in case fedora-review+
> flag was given by a non-sponsor. More info in this RFE:
> https://github.com/FrostyX/fedora-review-service/issues/18

The packager onboarding experience can be improved. Automation can help.
 If someone has submitted a new package review request and has not
submitted a package review request before, a bot that welcomes the
person and announces this on the devel list would encourage others to
take a look at the ticket.  There is a Fedora ambassador group, maybe
this could also be used?  It is good to increase active participation in
the project.  Am not a sponsor, but have reviewed packages of people
that need sponsorship.

>> From this thread I get
>> the opposite impression, that Pagure tickets are processed quickly and
>> FE-NEEDSPONSOR blockers are not looked at. If so, I propose the policy
>> is updated to ask for a Pagure ticket in every case.
>
> I get the same impression and I would agree with Otto's proposal to
> get rid of the FE-NEEDSPONSOR entirely. Apart from it not being
> processed as effectively as the package-sponsor repo tickets, the
> FE-NEEDSPONSOR is confusing anyway (it is set to a review ticket but
> the ticket doesn't need to be sponsored, the contributor does. That
> becomes weird when the contributor has more tickets at the same time
> and so on). But if I understand correctly, FESCo needs to be involved
> and therefore this would be a long-term goal.

Automating FE-NEEDSPONSOR is helpful for reviewers as one would
typically make more suggestions than for a regular review. Creating a
Pagure ticket after successful package review can then also help.  May
also want to automatically track unofficial reviews by prospective
packagers, perhaps even requiring a certain number of unofficial reviews
for the sponsorship process to start.