Re: Auto-assign packager sponsors to tickets?

> Currently, we have 31 people waiting to be sponsored
> https://fedoraproject.org/PackageReviewStatus/needsponsor.html many of
> them waiting for months. To get to the point of waiting to be
> sponsored, all of these people invested their time to learn the basics
> of RPM packaging and went through the tedious process of a package
> review without quitting. It's not very nice of us to let them wait for
> an indefinite amount of time without a reply after all of this.

I want state up front that I'm not a fan of this proposal, but I also
want to address what appears to me to be some misconception about the
process.  To wit: A sponsor doesn't have to do the package review, even
of tickets marked as NEEDSPONSOR.  That is just a flag in case sponsors
go specifically looking for people to sponsor.

If a package makes it through review but can't be imported because the
prospective maintainer isn't in the packager group, they should file a
ticket with the sponsors (https://pagure.io/packager-sponsors/) and they
will be taken care of.  I'm not aware of anyone in that state ever
needing to wait very long before being sponsored.  There are sponsors
who are willing to help with that part of things but who aren't able to
spend the time on package reviews.

So, really, the issue here is that the reviews in question aren't being
processed, not that sponsors aren't sponsoring.  Since any packager
can do those reviews, it seems that the proposal should instead be to
assign open package reviews to packagers, and I suspect that would not
be received particularly well for mostly the same reasons that sponsors
would object to the current proposal.

The bottom line is that package reviews can be quite time consuming.  I
don't think the issue is with sponsorship itself.

 - J<