Re: Auto-assign packager sponsors to tickets?

Thank you all for the feedback.

> The bottom line is that package reviews can be quite time consuming.  I
> don't think the issue is with sponsorship itself.

Sorry Jason, I probably didn't communicate my idea as clearly as I
should. My intention wasn't to assign sponsors to review tickets and
make them do the actual review. I am trying to address the situation
where a ticket already has a fedora-review+ flag but it was given by a
reviewer who is not a sponsor.

> You're saying that tickets were properly filed with the
> packager-sponsors tracker and those were not addressed?  I checked the
> open tickets before responding.  I didn't see anything.  If tickets got
> closed without any action being taken, could you point out those
> tickets?  That would be a rather odd state of affairs

Not in the packager-sponsors tracker, I checked it out, and I must say
it is being processed flawlessly. Really good job there.
Reading the discussion, I think we discovered one of the main issues
elsewhere - We don't properly instruct new contributors to create a
ticket in the tracker.
This will be a big improvement:
https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/package-maintainer-docs/pull-request/118

To point out the specific tickets that weren't addressed, they are here:
https://fedoraproject.org/PackageReviewStatus/needsponsor.html

> But I think this is not outreachy enough.

I agree, so my next step will be improving the fedora-review-service
to post a comment about how to find a sponsor, in case fedora-review+
flag was given by a non-sponsor. More info in this RFE:
https://github.com/FrostyX/fedora-review-service/issues/18

> From this thread I get
> the opposite impression, that Pagure tickets are processed quickly and
> FE-NEEDSPONSOR blockers are not looked at. If so, I propose the policy
> is updated to ask for a Pagure ticket in every case.

I get the same impression and I would agree with Otto's proposal to
get rid of the FE-NEEDSPONSOR entirely. Apart from it not being
processed as effectively as the package-sponsor repo tickets, the
FE-NEEDSPONSOR is confusing anyway (it is set to a review ticket but
the ticket doesn't need to be sponsored, the contributor does. That
becomes weird when the contributor has more tickets at the same time
and so on). But if I understand correctly, FESCo needs to be involved
and therefore this would be a long-term goal.

> Please exclude me from such spam.

I was finally able to find some numbers and it turns out, we
successfully sponsor ~100 people a year. That is much more than I
expected, so I now understand your point. We are also much more
effective than I thought (well you guys are).

> Sure, just plumb the end of the review process (accepted ticket) to feed
> right into the sponsor process (let the sponsors know, preferably via
> the tracker).  But I don't think that assigning unreviewed tickets to
> random sponsors is the right way.

This can work and will be easy to implement as well. I like the idea,
we can try it :-)

Jakub