Re: Fedora Linux 38 blocker status summary

Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Tue, 2023-02-14 at 16:44 +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
>> Peter Robinson wrote:
>> > It was decided years ago that all desktops would have some Fedora
>> > similarities, backgrounds, browser etc.
>>
>> If and when that was decided, that was without involving the maintainers
>> of the Spins. I know because I was directly involved with maintaining the
>> KDE Spin at the time.
>
> It was decided by the KDE SIG in 2015:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kde/2015-August/015363.html

Well, as you point out yourself:

> For the record, I think Peter was mistaken in saying this was about "It
> was decided years ago that all desktops would have some Fedora
> similarities, backgrounds, browser etc." AFAICT this simply seems to
> have been a choice the KDE SIG decided to make on its own initiative.

what was decided back then was NOT that "all desktops would have some Fedora
similarities, backgrounds, browser etc.", but that AT THAT TIME (which was
BEFORE QtWebEngine entered Fedora! The strict bundling rules that prevented
it from passing review were loosened only a few months later), the KDE Spin
would ship with Firefox. That is different because that decision was not a
categorical decision that the KDE Spin, or even ALL Spins, would always ship
Firefox (which is something at least the KDE SIG had never agreed to), but a
momentaneous decision for Fedora 23 that could be revisited later.

In fact, there was a later vote for Fedora 25:
https://meetbot-raw.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2016-08-09/kde-sig.2016-08-09-15.05.log.html
which proposed switching to QupZilla/Falkon, vote which turned out much
closer than the 2015 vote where KWebKitPart had started to age and there had
been no viable alternative in Fedora other than Firefox.

In discussions after that vote, I was told that the decision could be
reconsidered again under some conditions, but unfortunately, said conditions
kept changing. As had been the case already in the time leading to the 2016
vote. For F24, first the excuse was that QupZilla was not packaged, then
that it was version 1.9.99 and not 2.0.0, then that it was too late in the
release cycle (but the switch to Firefox for F23 had happened *during Final
Freeze*!). But I had expected it to be pretty much a given that we would
switch to QupZilla for F25, also based on the discussions immediately prior
to the 2016 vote, and then it surprisingly still did not get a majority, and
there were again new excuses being brought up. And that continued again and
again.

        Kevin Kofler