Re: Fedora Linux 38 blocker status summary

On Tue, 2023-02-14 at 16:44 +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Peter Robinson wrote:
> > It was decided years ago that all desktops would have some Fedora
> > similarities, backgrounds, browser etc.
>
> If and when that was decided, that was without involving the maintainers of
> the Spins. I know because I was directly involved with maintaining the KDE
> Spin at the time.

It was decided by the KDE SIG in 2015:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kde/2015-August/015363.html
There is a reference to it being "Based on our prior kde-sig meeting",
which I believe refers to this meeting:
https://meetbot-raw.fedoraproject.org/teams/kde-sig/kde-sig.2015-08-04-15.08.log.txt
you participated extensively in both the meeting and the mailing list
thread, strongly opposing the change, but you were outvoted, and the
proposal passed, per:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kde/2015-August/015521.html
it certainly wasn't decided "without involving the maintainers of the
Spins".

For the record, I think Peter was mistaken in saying this was about "It
was decided years ago that all desktops would have some Fedora
similarities, backgrounds, browser etc." AFAICT this simply seems to
have been a choice the KDE SIG decided to make on its own initiative.
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA