Re: F37 proposal: Build all JDKs in Fedora against in-tree libraries and with static stdc++lib (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 9:38 AM Jiri Vanek <jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/25/22 15:28, Neal Gompa wrote:

> >> I'm not sure what you mean  - from above - what is based on mine/wider thinking
> >> Generally waht I wrote here it is based on judgmeent of about 10 people around OpenJDK pacages in Fedora.
> >> The equations above are based on realistic view and experience. Do you yo find some misscalcualtion above?
> >>
> >> I really appreciate you opinions, and would be happyt answer more precisely.

> >> Are  you really sure? Many applications runtime requiter non system jdk, so they pull it in and use, and maybe you have not even noticed.
> >> Many develoeprs ahve installe dmany JDKS (in my case all from repos, unless I need to compile jimage) and the switch as needed.

> >> This is possible solution. It will lower the TCK burden to aprox 3/5 with lost of most widely used JDKs from repositories.
> >> I'm open to this proposal. But the removal will hurt and way back will be much harder then swithing static builds back to dynamic.

> >> Taht is very valid point. Cost is it will force huge number of uses  to download 3rd party latest STS jdk. it is where all new features live.

> >> it is a bit less then I wrote, - about 3/5 of current load but do yoreally wish to cut all those jdks from fedora?
> >> To me the static repacked build sill somehow seems as smaller evil then drop practically all interesting jdks out of distro.
> >>
> >> So here I need to rephrase your question - is it based on your's thinking  or on what fedora users really needs?
> >> I think the oposite - they need all jdks which are around. Proeprly integrated with system. How they are built .. they do not care.
> >> If update to neewer Fedora wil lmake some older JDK disapear, or if need of new one will force me to update Fedora when I don't want or cant. I call it much worse user expereince
> >>

> > What about only making the older JDKs use bundled static libraries,
> > and the latest LTS and STS versions continue to use dynamic? That
> > would significantly cut down TCK versions and allow you to focus
> > dynamic support where it matters (latest Java runtime code).
>
> Quite a fresh thinking!
>
> What about all jdks except system one being static (and repacked), but the system one dynamic. That can go below 1/2 of QA runs, without any cut of jdks in fedora.
> There exists Quite a high risk, that the system jdk will trasnfer form static to dynamic in some point (or oposite), and that will lead to unknown new issues prety late in lifecycle.

I did think of that, that's why I figured doing the latest STS and
LTS, because it ensures the STS->LTS bootstrap is going to be
reasonable. It can also be coupled with switching the system JDK to
the latest LTS.