Re: F37 proposal: Build all JDKs in Fedora against in-tree libraries and with static stdc++lib (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 11:09 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Just stop doing TCK certification. Most of Fedora users don't need
> > > "certified binaries".
> >
> >   Exactly. This change does not benefit Fedora, it is only to make
> > certification easier. Certification which is not needed.
>
> At its heart the certification is a "sticker" that asserts our
> JDK has passed the TCK test suite. IOW, saying that we don't need
> certification of JDK is effectively saying that we don't need to do
> testing of JDK in Fedora. Comprehensive testing of software is
> something that very much does benefit Fedora and its users, and we
> could do with a whole lot more of it in general. Further elsewhere
> in this thread it has been clearly said that users of JDKs do
> indeed value the certification as a sign of quality. So I don't
> think we can credibly claim that certification is not needed.
>
> The challenege is how to make the certification managable for the
> maintainers, while also having the packaging process be amenable
> to Fedora processes. Eliminating testing of JDK is not a desirable
> solution.

I agree here. I don't know what the problems are with the TCK, though.
Is it something we can solve with automation? Is it something we need
more upstream engagement on? I'm not sure what we need. I've asked a
couple of times in this thread, I'm waiting for a response from the
proposal owners.

I'm also closely tracking the efforts around Project Wakefield, and
I'd rather not lose an opportunity to have that in Fedora ASAP because
we've stopped building for multiple Fedora releases.