Re: Would it be useful to have a video call to discuss the "Deprecate Legacy BIOS" Change proposal?

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 6:39 AM Kevin Kofler via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ralf Corsépius wrote:
> > I do not agree with this statement.  Like previous "Legacy SIGs" this is
> > a red herring to obfuscate RHATs lack of disinterest with topics, which
> > do not match into their business objectives.
>
> I am also worried that this is just a delayed retirement, as it was for 32-
> bit i686, where the SIG was very quickly declared a failure, without even
> being given time to organize.

The i686 SIG was given multiple releases to organize. The original
proposal which triggered the SIG to form was for F27, the proposal to
finally kill it and declare the SIG inactive was F31.  But this is
different from the i686 kernel SIG in some critical ways.  First, the
rate of churn around the boot code is massively smaller than the churn
in kernel code. Second, it seemed that most of the people who showed
interest in the i686 SIG had little to no kernel experience, while
Hans and others interested should be capable of doing the work as long
as they are willing.  And lastly, many of the i686 issues which popped
up were issues which kept the kernel from building, so there was more
urgency around them.  While I don't have plans to participate in the
BIOS boot SIG, I do think it is in capable hands provided the people
who have commented interest in participating continue to do so.

Justin