Re: Would it be useful to have a video call to discuss the "Deprecate Legacy BIOS" Change proposal?

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 09:34:18AM -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 4/13/22 07:54, David Cantrell wrote:
> > The core issue still comes down to having resources to continue maintaining
> > BIOS boot support in Fedora and so far no one has come forward to work on
> > that.
>
> As far as I can tell from the responses in the other thread, there is not
> currently an issue with BIOS support.  This is merely a belief that it will
> become a problem in the future.  Given that supposedly no more BIOS-only
> computers are being made, why are you expecting future problems since
> nothing will change from where it is now?

What you are describing is not a zero-maintenance issue.  Even if nothing
changes around BIOS boot support in the software, the entire OS around it
changes which means as a component of the OS, the boot loader needs ongoing
maintenance to ensure it continues to build and work.  For example, consider
new releases of gcc and binutils.

The Legacy BIOS SIG is a good proposal to handle this sort of ongoing work in
Fedora.

Thanks,

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>