Re: Would it be useful to have a video call to discuss the "Deprecate Legacy BIOS" Change proposal?

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 07:20:52PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> We've got a 300+ message thread in just one week, with 66 different
> participants. This handily beats discussions systemd-resolved,
> btrfs-by-default, and even switching the default editor to nano.
>
> Clearly there's a lot to talk about here. Would it be useful to have a
> high-bandwidth, moderated conversation via video call about the best path
> forward?
>
> (Because of the number of likely participants, Jitsi probably won't cut it,
> so this would likely be via Bluejeans.)
>
> It'll obviously be difficult to find a time where _everyone_ can
> participate, so this wouldn't be a deciding-things meeting, rather a
> "talking about possibilities and hopefully coming to more mutual
> understanding" meeting. And I would make sure there are good notes.*
>

> (* volunteers who are good at note taking welcome!)

Here are some thread stats I took just now:

Overall statistics
------------------
Total number of messages: 310
Number of messages that is a reply: 306 (98.71%)
Total size: 4191268
Average size: 13520
Total number of writers: 78
Number of people who wrote >1 message: 37 (47.44%)

Top writers
   | # msgs|av size| total|time | e-mail address
---+-------+-------+------+-----+--------------------------------
  1]     40|  14224|568978|13:24| neal gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>
  2]     33|  11715|386622|13:30| devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  3]     31|  13173|408389|13:19| robbie harwood <rharwood@xxxxxxxxxx>
  4]     29|  13091|379662|14:56| chris murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  5]     15|  21574|323617|14:26| jared dominguez <jaredz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  6]     13|  11834|153851|13:37| dominik 'rathann' mierzejewski <dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  7]     11|  19316|212484|17:23| demi marie obenour <demiobenour@xxxxxxxxx>
  8]      8|  10816| 86533|12:56| chris adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  9]      8|  16190|129527|11:26| "thomas schmitt" <scdbackup@xxxxxxx>
 10]      8|  11985| 95880|07:52| gary buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@xxxxxxxxx>

While the thread is busy, here are the top participants (with #2 excepted).

The core issue still comes down to having resources to continue maintaining
BIOS boot support in Fedora and so far no one has come forward to work on
that.  If a video call can come up with a community plan to do that, I would
say it might be worth it.  Otherwise it may just be a continuing of the thread
as it is now.

Thanks,

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>