Re: Would it be useful to have a video call to discuss the "Deprecate Legacy BIOS" Change proposal?

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 2:08 PM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 14/04/2022 15:31, John Reiser wrote:
> > Some of them even have "without data loss" in the page title.
>
> Without moving data to another physical drive this operation is too
> dangerous.
>
> I tried on my testing VM and lost all data from that VM. Restored snapshot.

There are certainly cases where this can happen
given the power of the tools that can be used.

There are also cases where it has been shown
to have worked without issue (if one follows all
the steps).

Having a backup (and testing it) before one
modifies your disk partition is certainly one of
the recommended steps.

Given that one is far more likely to report the
failures than the successes, there is no way to
draw any real conclusion about how many
failures and successes there are, and their
causes, if you are one of those that lost their
system you tend to get a strong opinion.