Re: Is NetworkManager-wait-online.service necessary by default?

On Di, 22.02.22 14:36, Chris Murphy (lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 12:34 PM Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps there are additional hints in:
> >
> >    systemctl show -p WantedBy,RequiredBy,After,Before network-online.target
> >
> > I also suspect i don't understand the
> > problem well enough to have the correct
> > clue to help.
>

> #     systemctl show -p WantedBy,RequiredBy,After,Before network-online.target
> RequiredBy=
> WantedBy=packagekit.service dnf-makecache.timer
> Before=shutdown.target iscsid.service kdump.service
> dnf-makecache.service iscsi.service

Are any of iscsid.service, iscsi.service, kdump.service actually
running for you? or enabled?

Most importantly though, let's take one step back: the dnf thing will
pull the service in, as mentioned, but not delay reaching of
multi-user.target or graphical.target. So, what are you actually
seeing? Will these two targets only be reached after NM-w-o.s is
reached? Or are they reached before it?

If the latter is the case, there actually is no problem, because yes,
NM-w-o.s will still run for a while after the relevant parts of the
boot completed, but it will not cause delays for anything that
matters, it just helps making dnf cache sync output a bit less noisy,
that's all. Or in other words: we consider the boot complete once
multi-user.target/graphical.target have been reached. Stuff that runs
after that is stuff we don't consider boot-up stuff anymore, but just
background stuff that runs after the actual boot phase is complete.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin