Re: Do we have any policy for disabling inactive users

On Sat, 2022-02-12 at 14:52 +0100, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 12:50:58PM +0100, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> > > Thus, if you are able to create a build that
> > > is submitted as an update (i.e. either build it for rawhide, or build it
> > > for other releases and create a bodhi update), this is enough to wreak havoc at
> > > least on machines of people who use rawhide / updates-testing.
> >
> > If a hacker will "updates" the foo-bar package, it will only harm users who
> > have that package installed.
>
> Yes, that is true. But a typical installation has between a few hundred and
> a few thousand packages, and there are also users who purposefully install
> additional packages e.g. for QA. So such a breach would have an important
> impact, even if it wouldn't impact *all* packagers.
>
> Also note that you can add Supplements:glibc and suddenly the package will
> be installed in additional places.

Yup, we actually use this trick in openQA to get a package from an
additional repo installed without changing 'real' packages or comps. It
works.

> > > As you certainly know, many updates don't receive any feedback, and almost
> > > all updates receive no scrutiny if they install without errors.
> >
> > This is another problem. We should add some kind of gamification for QA
> > testers, like achievements.
> >
> > > Thus a
> > > nefarious update would have fairly high chances of going stable too.
> > > I suppose that at some point it would be noticed, and the update pulled
> > > and the account deactivated, but there is no automatic process for this.
> >
> > Maybe instead of deleting user accounts or their memberships, we should keep
> > track of such updates and block auto-stable on karma and time for them?
>
> We are not *deleting* user accounts, the proposal is to remove the
> user from a group. We could do something more complicated, but that'd
> require introducing special logic in multiple places (koji, bodhi,
> probably others), and I don't see how it'd be better than the proposed
> solution. If this alternative solution was implemented, for the user the
> result would be equivalent to the proposed solution.

Replying to Vitaly here: the Bodhi process is absolutely not intended
to act as security review and I don't see that it really can. Someone
who goes as far as taking over a dormant maintainer account to submit a
nefarious package can almost certainly also arrange to have the update
immediately approved (note you can set the push threshold for a non-
critpath update to +1, so you need only one account to +1 it and it
will be pushed stable). Even ignoring that, security review is a
specialized skill and most of the people who review updates are not
trained in it. Even people who *can* do security review and also file
Bodhi feedback probably aren't doing a review of every update they +1,
because it's a time-consuming task and they are not being paid for it.

Bodhi functions as a quality sanity check. It's absolutely not security
review.

I think that while it's slightly unfortunate that this is the case, the
proposal is probably necessary, and I support it. Real world supply-
chain attacks are happening, regularly, and the Fedora package
collection is certainly a valid target for such an attack. We should do
what we can to make it more difficult to carry one out.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA