Re: Do we have any policy for disabling inactive users

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 12:50:58PM +0100, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> > Thus, if you are able to create a build that
> > is submitted as an update (i.e. either build it for rawhide, or build it
> > for other releases and create a bodhi update), this is enough to wreak havoc at
> > least on machines of people who use rawhide / updates-testing.
>
> If a hacker will "updates" the foo-bar package, it will only harm users who
> have that package installed.

Yes, that is true. But a typical installation has between a few hundred and
a few thousand packages, and there are also users who purposefully install
additional packages e.g. for QA. So such a breach would have an important
impact, even if it wouldn't impact *all* packagers.

Also note that you can add Supplements:glibc and suddenly the package will
be installed in additional places.

> > As you certainly know, many updates don't receive any feedback, and almost
> > all updates receive no scrutiny if they install without errors.
>
> This is another problem. We should add some kind of gamification for QA
> testers, like achievements.
>
> > Thus a
> > nefarious update would have fairly high chances of going stable too.
> > I suppose that at some point it would be noticed, and the update pulled
> > and the account deactivated, but there is no automatic process for this.
>
> Maybe instead of deleting user accounts or their memberships, we should keep
> track of such updates and block auto-stable on karma and time for them?

We are not *deleting* user accounts, the proposal is to remove the
user from a group. We could do something more complicated, but that'd
require introducing special logic in multiple places (koji, bodhi,
probably others), and I don't see how it'd be better than the proposed
solution. If this alternative solution was implemented, for the user the
result would be equivalent to the proposed solution.

> > We certainly don't want to push maintainers away. In fact this whole
> > thread is primarily about striking the right balance between security and
> > the desire not to inconvenience maintainers.
>
> From proposal:
>
> > If no activity is detected within a year, try to contact them by their account email and if no reply is received after a proper delay (1 month) proceed by removing them from the packager group.
>
> They will need to be sponsored again. Some people are waiting for
> sponsorship for months.

They will not go through the normal sponsorship process, but instead
something akin to a password reset (albeit public and not automated).

> > Ehh, I don't think so. There are many automated emails being sent by
> > our infra. If a hacker wants to send a phishing email, they might
> > just as well spoof a bugzilla ticket or a pagure notification.
>
> None of them require you to sign in and follow any links.

Well, nothing *requires* you to follow links, but many of them *contain*
links, and the sites behind those links will require you to log in to
e.g. post a comment.

Zbyszek