Re: Do we have any policy for disabling inactive users

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 9:58 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have concerns with this approach. I would guess there's a long tail
> of packagers that maintain relatively few packages. These packages
> might not have frequent upstream releases or require new manual
> builds.

There are a lot of packages in Fedora that are, for all
practical purposes, "functionally stabilized" upstream.
They get recompiled at the mass rebuild, but otherwise
are in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mode (upstream and
packaging).  And that seems fine to me.

> If we were to automate it, we absolutely should have a
> trivial way for people to regain packager status (i.e. not
> have to get re-sponsored, etc).

The question is then what are you protecting against?
If you can reset your password (via email link), and
then click a button that says "I'm BACK!", you return
to the original concern that was raised about whether
this is really the same person you think it is.

I don't have a good answer to the problem space
of knowing what it means to be active or otherwise
engaged given the highly distributed nature of the
community (99.999% of the people I interact with
on this community I never have, and likely never
will, meet in person, or in any other way to know
who they really are, or whether they are different
now, and "On the Internet, no one knows you
are a dog" (Woof?)).

Perhaps *an* approach to identify inactive
packagers is for packages that have enabled
release monitoring (and more probably should
be), and for which new upstream releases
have been identified, and the packager has
not yet taken the steps to at least start to
update to that new release in a reasonable
timeframe (12 months?).  A quick (and likely
bad and incomplete) bugzilla search shows
over 1000 tickets where there are upstream
updates that are still in NEW status in
bugzilla and had been (initially) opened
over a year ago.  I think that represents
around 350 unique people.  Those people
may be otherwise active, of course, but
those packages themselves look to be
under maintained.