Re: Fedora 💔 Java: The Death of Two SIGs

> (snip)

> You also need people who are good at documentation which frankly many
> developers are not. Be it a history of 'the only true documentation
> is
> the code' to 'look its simple why didn't you just <do this one thing
> no one would think of and impossible to document without knowing why
> it was chosen or used>. It's the most obvious choice?
Too true, I personally have been doing systems integration goin on (oh
god) 35 yrs, and the last bit of work (you know tha documents that
prove you should get paid for the work) is the hardest for me. In fact
I have spent a considerable amount of foundation work over the years to
get templating and scripting in place for me to be able to automate as
much of my documentation as possible.
> It isn't that the developer is trying to be obtuse, I think it is how
> the brain works for a lot of people. My autism makes it very hard for
> me to communicate about code. I can think it, see it, dream it, but
> once I get into 'word' mode I can't access it easily. And vice versa,
> when I am in code mode, I am almost non-verbal and my emails get very
> short and succinct (at least to me..).. Switch me over to word mode
> and it takes me hours to be productive in code again. [I have to set
> my emails and meetings in a block without working in much code.] My
> social skills are also myopic.. I can work with people when I am in
> word mode but I can not if I am in code mode beyond 'share code, get
> reviewed, fix bugs, point out problems'.

Ditto, though I don't have to deal with an ASD, I stll find if I am at
the top of my technical game and really performing, then my
communication skills adjust to the berevity the thought mode enforces.

> It takes a lot of work to document what I do, and when I am under
> water with too many tasks/packages it can be a lot easier to just
> make
> it work versus doing that. I would like to say 'this is just me' but
> when I have explained my problem to a lot of other developers there
> are the nods of 'yep that is what it's like'. Getting a truly working
> SIG together is a lot of emotional work that a lot of people don't
> have the energy to deal with while also doing whatever they are
> currently doing.

Honestly, this is another area maybe the community is lacking in right
now, we don't seem to have as many "champions" taking the lead on
running things like a java-sig. It really does require some
organization skills and a marketing mindset.

> Getting documentation is a full time job usually with someone who has
> to have patience and persistence to get the information they need out
> of the developers in code mode and also get the words down into a way
> that someone who isn't a developer in code mode can read.

As it has been revealed repeatedly, documentation is an ongoing and
ever demanding requirement that, since Fedora Linux release cadence is
what it is, and the changes that come every release cycle, ensure a
constant need and constant changes happening in those documents.

Stephen