Re: Fedora 💔 Java: The Death of Two SIGs

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 2:08 PM Peter Boy <pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> However, we lack concepts on how to proceed after removing java-maint-sig. What consequences do we draw from the analyses?

The java-maint-sig formal group ceased to exist. Java SIG continues to
exist as an informal group, in the shape it existed before
java-maint-sig was formed. Anyone who wants to improve Java in Fedora
can simply do so. Eg. If you want to package something, you can do it.
If you need help, you can ask on IRC or mailing list. If you want to
test existing packages, feel free to do it and open bugs. If you want
to improve docs, just do it. And so on. Java SIG has resources in form
of communication channels that can be used by members to help each
other. There is a mailing list and an IRC channel. We can even
schedule an IRC meeting if anyone has a particular topic to discuss
during a meeting.

> Emmanuel Seyman has made some suggestions, about 16 posts back.  Thoughts on those?

I'm for removing java-maint-sig group and documenting the current
state of affairs. But I don't think there is a need to "restart Java
SIG" or to plan editing the wiki. Whoever wants to clean up some wiki
pages can simply do so, without asking.

> I posted on the java list some ideas some time ago ('Empowering Fedora Java’). Any comments on those?

These were about java-maint-sig, IIRC, which basically does not exist
any longer.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski