Re: Fedora 💔 Java: The Death of Two SIGs

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 at 13:07, Peter Boy <pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We had a spirited and detailed discussion so far. But nevertheless,  I think we are none the wiser at the moment. We have many informative contributions to the discussion and analyses of the situation.
>
> However, we lack concepts on how to proceed after removing java-maint-sig. What consequences do we draw from the analyses?
>
> Emmanuel Seyman has made some suggestions, about 16 posts back.  Thoughts on those? I posted on the java list some ideas some time ago ('Empowering Fedora Java’). Any comments on those?

Like many Open Source projects, Fedora is a "do-ocracy" -- those who
step up to do the work win the responsibility of getting it done. If
you have a clear goal in mind, just go for it.

As I said before there's always a lot of discussion from people who,
in the end, never get involved. And then there are people who are
quietly working away and Getting Things Done™ without the need for
endless discussion. A good example is Nicolas De Amicis who recently
stepped up to revive SWT because he really cares about openjfx in
Fedora and SWT was a dependency. And that is awesome; it is the
do-ocracy in action! Picking a goal you care about and setting about
achieving it doesn't require a SIG, it requires you to "do."

So, do you have any specific, concrete goal you want to achieve? If
the removal of a Java package has affected you directly or a Java
application you care about is in danger of being removed that would be
a excellent place to start.

--
Mat Booth
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora