Re: Fedora 💔 Java: The Death of Two SIGs

> Am 04.10.2021 um 15:29 schrieb Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 2:08 PM Peter Boy <pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> However, we lack concepts on how to proceed after removing java-maint-sig. What consequences do we draw from the analyses?
>
> … If you want
> to improve docs, just do it. And so on. ...
> ... or to plan editing the wiki. Whoever wants to clean up some wiki
> pages can simply do so, without asking.

It’s not as easy as you think of. That way you will end with the docs as Stephen Smoogen described 4 posts back, just chaos and misinformation. You need  collaboration and agreement (shared plan) from participants in all affected areas - including you as the (main) developer of a core package (not writing text, but e.g check the concept, check technical correctness and completeness). It simply doesn’t work the way you are proposing.

>> I posted on the java list some ideas some time ago ('Empowering Fedora Java’). Any comments on those?
>
> These were about java-maint-sig, IIRC, which basically does not exist
> any longer.

No! It was about:
> The biggest success is that with all the adversities in java packaging we have a stabilized Fedora Java core platform.
>
> The next urgent step, in my opinion, is to update and improve information materials and documentation, followed by a community building process based on it.
>

> I can offer to do the writing. …
followed by tentative ideas about details of documentation.

You wrote:
> Java SIG has resources in form
> of communication channels that can be used by members to help each
> other. There is a mailing list and an IRC channel.
So much for the theory, yes. I would have appreciated even a tiny bit of it.

You are one of the developers without whose contributions the Fedora Java stack would probably collapse in a short time.  I would really be interested in the same question as to Mat: With java-paint-sig removed, are you really completely content with the Fedora Java world?  No change? No improvement anywhere?

And just in case you see some preferable improvement anywhere, what do you think should be done to promote and achieve this?

Best
Peter