Re: Fedora 💔 Java: The Death of Two SIGs

On Wed, 29 Sept 2021 at 23:48, Emmanuel Seyman <emmanuel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Peter Boy [29/09/2021 23:29] :
> >
> > Any ideas to get it started to fly?
>
> The first step should be to empty the group in FAS and remove its
> bugzilla account from component ownership in Bugzilla (I happen
> to think that this is not a good idea in general but it's even worse
> when the group has no active members).
>
> The second step should be to document the current state of affairs
> in the wiki along with the steps that someone would need to go through
> to revive the group for another try. We could the point anyone who
> wants to contribute to that page and get out of their way while they
> fix things.
>
> As an aside, I'm somewhat surprised that the only commit on the Java
> SIG's main wiki page in nearly 4 years is one that simply fixes a
> spelling mistake.  This doesn't jive with the amount of discussion we've
> had on this list nor does it match the amount of work that people claim
> to have done on the stack in recent times.
>
> I would encourage people who want to restart the SIG to reach out to
> other distributions and enquire as to how they handle their Java stack.
> While I'm as much into Fedora exceptionalism as any other packager, I'm
> certain that other distributions have the same problems packaging Java
> that we do.  At worst, doing this would give us insight into how the
> stack can be kept in working condition and, at best, we could gain
> new contributers.
>
> On that topic, I've just read an interview of Nicolas Lécureuil, the
> president of the Mageia board, in which he says that Mageia's Java stack
> is based on Fedora's and that he interacts with Fedora's Java team
> (leading me to wonder who exactly he is interacting with given Fabio's
> description of the SIG's activity in the opening mail of this thread).

I've interacted with Java people from Mageia many times over the
years. They periodically rebase their stack on Fedora's and have been
pretty good at finding things that I didn't notice had stopped working
such as bootstapping modes that we don't exercise very often for
example. I've made a bunch of changes based on their reports and
merged a bunch of changes from them too, so kudos to them. They've
historically been active on #fedora-java IRC channel, so I'm sure I'm
not the only one with such interactions.

--
Mat Booth
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora