Re: Fedora 💔 Java: The Death of Two SIGs

* Peter Boy [29/09/2021 23:29] :

> Any ideas to get it started to fly?

The first step should be to empty the group in FAS and remove its
bugzilla account from component ownership in Bugzilla (I happen
to think that this is not a good idea in general but it's even worse
when the group has no active members).

The second step should be to document the current state of affairs
in the wiki along with the steps that someone would need to go through
to revive the group for another try. We could the point anyone who
wants to contribute to that page and get out of their way while they
fix things.

As an aside, I'm somewhat surprised that the only commit on the Java
SIG's main wiki page in nearly 4 years is one that simply fixes a
spelling mistake.  This doesn't jive with the amount of discussion we've
had on this list nor does it match the amount of work that people claim
to have done on the stack in recent times.

I would encourage people who want to restart the SIG to reach out to
other distributions and enquire as to how they handle their Java stack.
While I'm as much into Fedora exceptionalism as any other packager, I'm
certain that other distributions have the same problems packaging Java
that we do.  At worst, doing this would give us insight into how the
stack can be kept in working condition and, at best, we could gain
new contributers.

On that topic, I've just read an interview of Nicolas Lécureuil, the
president of the Mageia board, in which he says that Mageia's Java stack
is based on Fedora's and that he interacts with Fedora's Java team
(leading me to wonder who exactly he is interacting with given Fabio's
description of the SIG's activity in the opening mail of this thread).

Emmanuel