Re: Delta RPMs in Fedora 34

On Tue, 2021-01-05 at 08:49 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> To be blunt, I would have never done Zchunk metadata if it was going
> to be used as a tool to kill DeltaRPMs. I firmly believe we need both
> to have a comprehensive offering that accommodates the needs of
> Fedora users across the world.

Hey Neal, I'm not sure where you're going with that first sentence, but
I think it's pretty obvious that zchunk and deltarpms solve different
problems and, following this thread, I don't think anyone has suggested
that we should kill deltarpms *because* we have zchunk metadata.

When we first brought deltarpms into Fedora, a savings of 60-90% when
doing updates was normal.  Now that we're losing the deltarpms after
each push (as we have been for the last three years), the savings is
significantly lower (I normally see less than 10%) and that makes it
hard to be motivated to fix the bugs that inevitably arise.

It sounds like there might be a plan to keep deltarpms beyond a single
push, and, if that happens, I will be more than happy to keep on
dealing with deltarpm bugs. :)

Thanks,
Jonathan