Re: Delta RPMs in Fedora 34

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021, at 6:29 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:

> I also remember when this was a killer feature for Fedora, and without any
> real way of judging use and demand, I'm hesitant to kill it off. But that's
> definitely plan B. We can point people who are in low-bandwidth situations
> at Silverblue, CoreOS, and Kinoite as the preferred approach.

Please don't use phrasing like this that implies e.g. CoreOS is distinct from "Fedora".

A much technically clearer way to say this would be "traditional dnf Fedora" versus rpm-ostree.

But even then it's not fully distinct because rpm-ostree also links to libdnf and whenever you use package layering, it's all the same RPM tools on the wire.  Though...ah right, the deltarpm implementation lives in the dnf Python code, not the libdnf library, so rpm-ostree doesn't do that.

Second - and this should be emphasized - a common case at least on Silverblue is that you run dnf inside a toolbox-style container (or more than one!).  So all bandwidth improvements apply there too.  In other words this (implict) contrast between the two is false because in both cases there are hybrids.

Now speaking of deltas - really delta implementations are going to benefit from a stronger "cadence" to releases, exactly much like what we do for CoreOS (but not Silverblue/IoT) today.  The relationship of such a system and Bodhi is...messy.
ostree deltas are also *much* better than deltarpm in various ways (most notably the CPU intensive part is bsdiff which we only use selectively instead of the whole thing).

On the other hand, we really want deltas too for containers; that's https://github.com/containers/image/pull/902

A very tricky case is the intersection of all of these; for my "dev container"/toolbox on my Silverblue workstation I use a custom container built on a server with all of my tools, but I do often `yum update` inside it since that works incrementally and online.  (But I do periodically flush and re-pull)  If we implemented container deltas I'd be a lot more likely to use `podman` to update it instead.

But anyways, please either explicitly spell out "Fedora CoreOS" to avoid an implicit contrast and making it seem like a separate thing from "Fedora", or go more technical and say "rpm-ostree variant" or so.  Thanks!