Re: Fedora 34 Change: DNF/RPM Copy on Write enablement for all variants (System-Wide Change)

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 01:18:38PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > > Well, it's tradeoffs. They save bandwith and download time on one side,
> > > but use lots of cpu cycles and disk space on the other. It just depends
> > > on what each person wants based on their situation and hardware.
> >
> > They actually use a lot of cpu cycles on _both_ sides, really.
>
> I thought that zchunk would obsolete drpm. What's the story here?

Nope, they are different things.

zchunk = a way to only download changed chunks of repodata.

drpms = a way to only download changed chunks of rpms.

> Also, in recent times, any dnf upgrade I did reported "savings" from
> drpm on the level <1% [*]. Am I doing something wrong or is this expected?
> Is there some usage pattern where there drpm provides real gain with
> current Fedora?

This is most likely because we are only making drpms against the most
recent updates. So, we are making very few drpms and only against things
that recently updated.

For example: https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/33/Everything/x86_64/drpms/
(126 drpms for all of f33 updates).

> Maybe the time has come to just disable DRPM entirely for F34.

We could. Or try and make them more usefull again.

kevin