Re: Fedora 34 Change: Route all Audio to PipeWire (System-Wide Change)

On Mon, 2020-11-30 at 00:31 +0100, Dan Čermák wrote:
> "Wim Taymans" <wtaymans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > * propose permanent switch for f35
> >   - it gets at least full cycle of testing (f34 + part of f33)
> > * re-evaluate situation for f35 beta freeze to make a default
> > switch.
> >
> > Although a bit slower than expected, I guess more testing is good.
> > It sounds
> > like an acceptable plan to me.
> > I'm not sure how it works, if spinoffs can/want to make an earlier
> > switch?
>
> Hm, I don't see a technical reason why a certain edition of Fedora
> couldn't ship with PipeWire by default earlier. Albeit I don't think
> that jumping ahead of the rest of the distro would reflect very well
> on
> the project, unless you call it "Fedora PipeWire Edition".

It will be a spin in this case (Jam), not an edition, right? (And
editions sometimes do differ in what features they ship, e.g.
Workstation defaulted to btrfs in F33 but Server had not.

If the benefits for pro audio users outweigh any issues that cause the
default to be reverted to Pulseaudio, I can see it being valuable to
Jam to stick to Pipewire anyway while the balance goes the other way
around for non-pro users who don't use JACK.

Cheers,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
profile: https://keyoxide.org/michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx