Re: Delta RPMs in Fedora 34

  Hi,

> we aren't making very many, which makes them even less useful. Plus, we're
> only making them between updates and for packages where those updates are
> frequent, that means you need to keep on top of things, which may be best
> practice but is most difficult for low-bandwidth users who might most
> benefit in the first place.

I'm a low bandwidth user.  And my setup basically is:

  (1) route all updates though a squid caching proxy.
  (2) configure all fedora machines to use the same fixed mirror.
  (3) disable drpms.
  (4) disable zchunk.

There are always cases where you need the full rpm anyway (for example
fresh installs with update repo enabled), so just loading (+caching!)
the full rpms and don't bother with drpms works better overall.

The problem with zchunk is that it isn't cache-friendly.  squid can't
cache range requests.  And even in case of a full download (fresh
install) I've seen zchunk metadata being re-downloaded when requested
again ...

take care,
  Gerd