Re: What is the most time consuming task for you as packager?

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 11:42 PM Michel Alexandre Salim
<michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Howdy,
> One observation (also in the post):
>
> The CLIs for fedpkg and koji is currently meant for human, not machine,
> consumptions. Invoking them from Bash scripts and trying to use the
> output (e.g. getting the name of that side tag) involves some brittle
> parsing. I plan to rewrite this in Python anyway, but it might be
> useful to add an output formatter to some commands where it makes sense
> (e.g. request-side-tag or chain-build).

+1000

It would be really really nice if some CLI tools (koji, fedpkg, etc.)
had a switch to print machine-readable output instead of
human-readable output. I'm also resorting to parsing human-readable
stdout from some of those tools in my scripts ... Probably that
machine-readable format would turn out to be JSON of some kind? It
seems to be the standard for this interoperability stuff now, and
there's good support for bash (jq), python (json from stdlib), and all
kinds of other languages.

Fabio