Re: What is the most time consuming task for you as packager?

On 12/15/20 11:29 PM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
I am looking for challenges for upcoming year - what I and my team should enhance. I have some ideas, but I want to hear
yours.

Thanks for doing this!

What you - as Fedora packager - find most time consuming on packaging?

Coordination and communication ;)

Where you will welcome more simplicity or automation?

In testing an impact of a change. E.g. a simple "upgrade to newer version" change might be a problem if it breaks other packages. I usually spin up a copr repo and try to rebuild every dependent package in it. However, there are time consuming challenges with this:

1) False failures. Sometimes, the copr build fails for random reason (Koji repo is not available, etc.). I need to read the logs and figure it out, resubmit the build.

2) Unrelated failures. Many packages FTBFS for unrelated reasons. I need to spin up another (control) copr and rebuild all failures there as well to make sure it's indeed unrelated.

3) Cross-related failures. Some packages only fail in the test copr because they "see" other packages from that test copr and some of them are different from what Fedora rawhide offers (e.g. because git HEAD is newer than what has been built in Koji / passed CI in github). I sometimes need to create more isolated coprs with my change to rule this out.

Ideally, I'd like to see a CI job for this that handles this on the background. If you'd like to hear more about the manual workflow, I'd be happy to meet over video.

(The workflow is heavily based on https://github.com/fedora-stewardship/fedora-stewardship.github.io/blob/master/scripts/review_pr.py but recently, I prefer the new Copr's dist-git option.)

--
Miro Hrončok