Re: Fedora 34 Change: Deprecate xemacs, xemacs-packages-base, xemacs-packages-extra, and neXtaw (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 02:53:13PM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Deprecate_xemacs
>
> I have been part of XEmacs upstream for over 20 years, and have
> maintained the Fedora package for over 11 years.  Upstream development
Kudos!

> == Summary ==
> Deprecate the xemacs, xemacs-packages-base, xemacs-packages-extra, and
> neXtaw packages, all of which have dead upstreams.

Is it really worth it to go through a separate deprecation step?
xemacs users can switch to emacs after xemacs is removed. I see that
you are concerned about the plugins, but maybe it's just better to
drop xemacs and the plugins in one go. If we notify the plugins'
maintainers now, they'll still have a few months to try to port them
to emacs (if suitable and porting is actually necessary).
Normally, I'd be in favour of "dragging out" the removal a bit, but
in this case I think we don't need to, because of the relatively
close replacement and the small number of users.

Zbyszek